About UsLearn more about The Caring Place
About The Caring Place
The Caring Place provides a place of safety and trust where people of all ages can find a caring professional to help them deal successfully with personal issues – mental health challenges or addictions.
The Caring Place was incorporated in 1991 as a non-profit, professional counselling centre. Over the years, The Caring Place has reached into the community and has drawn clients from across the province and from many lifestyles and economic levels. Our counsellors respect each client’s values, religion, race, and gender.
Counsellors at The Caring Place all have at least a Masters degree, with additional certification in various treatment modalities in addition.
Each counsellor has professional liability insurance and is held to a high standard in the Code of Conduct of the Professional Association of Christian Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
The 2019-2020 Board of Directors
Our Board of Directors is made up of professional men and women from the community who care about people with emotional, mental, and spiritual needs.
- Brad Strom, Chair
- Sherry Lee, Director, Executive Committee
- Alex Coleman, Director
- Craig Reid, Director
- Rod Donison, Director
- Andrew Waithe, Director
- Colleen Schmidt, Treasurer
Counsellors at The Caring Place all have at least a Masters degree, with additional certification in various treatment modalities. Each counsellor has professional liability insurance and is held to a high standard in the Code of Conduct of the Professional Association of Christian Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
Gwendolyn Friedrich, M.Sc., CPC, is the Executive Director of The Caring Place. She is the mother of three adult sons and has over 30 years senior leadership experience in the health and wellness field.
Gwen has received a Premier’s Award of Excellence in Public Service, a Prime Minister’s Award of Innovation, and has been nominated by the YWCA for a Woman of Distinction Award. Gwen has a Master of Science degree in Kinesiology and Health and is a Certified Professional Coach, whose passion is helping people become the best they can be.
Director of Counselling Services at TCP
Sam Berg, D.Min., RMFT
- Couples and families, depression, grief, & adolescents
- EAP Provider for Homewood Health, Shepell, & Solareh
- Enjoys grand kids, golf, curling, & bicycle riding
Graham Tyson, M.A., CPC
- Grief and loss, depression, anxiety, couples, childhood sexual abuse, & addictions
- Couples Support Groups relating to childhood sexual abuse
- Artistic Expression Workshops
- EAP Provider for Shepell
- Enjoys family & photography
Kevin Eby, M.A., (MFC)
- Cross-cultural experience working with First Nations people
- Individual/Couples Counselling
- Eye Movement Integration Therapy (EMI), effective toward treating past trauma
- EAP Provider for Aspiria, Homewood Health, Shepell, & Lifeworks
- Enjoys sports, the outdoors,& table games
Antonnette Hariram, M.Ed.Psy. B.A.
- Anxiety & Depression
- Multicultural Awareness
- Grief & Loss
- Enjoys spending time with family, movies, & reading
Kim Wolbaum, M.S.W., RSW
- Grief, loss, anxiety, mental health, relationships, family, & parenting
- Career Counselling
- Enjoys spending time with family, camping, & fishing
Ramona P. Wijesinghe, B.S.W., B.A., RSW
- Anxiety & Depression
- Domestic Violence & Sexual Abuse
- Cultural Awareness
- Relationship Problems
- Enjoys spending time with family & friends
Heather Van Starkenburhg, M.S.W., RSW
- Domestic Violence, Divorce, & other issues impacting women
- Multi-cultural and indigenous issues
- Enjoys time with friends, family, 2 cats, hiking, & the outdoors
Susan Kamuti-Gaitho, M.S.W., RSW
- Cultural Diversity
- Mental Health & Addictions
- Depression & Anxiety
- Enjoys running, marathons, & exploring new places
Ben Feere, M.C. (Cand), B.A. Psy.
- Children & Youth
- Families & Couples
- Trained in Psychology, Theology, & Biblical studies
- Husband, father, & former hockey player
- Enjoys hockey, golf, movies, reading, & family
Lokadia Sims, M.A. Psy. (Cand), B.A. Psy.
- Eating Disorders & Body Image
- Youth & Young Adult
- Depression & Anxiety
- Mental Health
- Enjoys dancing, art, running, & camping
We Need Your HelpPlease Donate!
The Caring Place takes clients regardless of ability to pay.
As a result, many people who otherwise could not afford professional counselling find help at The Caring Place. Our Client Support Fund is currently running very low. So we need your help to help other people less fortunate!